When hosting a dinner party, selecting the right drinks can be just as important as crafting a delicious menu. Your choice of drinks can set the tone for the evening and help enhance the overall dining experience. Here are some of the most popular drinks to serve at a dinner party, each carefully chosen to complement different courses and make your guests happy.
- Wine: Wine is a classic and versatile choice. A bottle of red, white, or sparkling wine can pair wonderfully with various dishes. Consider a light white wine like Sauvignon Blanc with appetizers, a robust red like Cabernet Sauvignon with hearty meats, and sparkling wine for toasts or dessert.
- Cocktails: Cocktails are a delightful way to kick off the evening. A classic martini or a refreshing mojito can be excellent choices. Creating a signature cocktail for your event can add a personal touch and impress your guests.
- Craft Beer: Craft beer has gained immense popularity in recent years, especially in Australia. Offering a selection of unique beers, including lagers, ales, and stouts, can cater to variety of tastes. They can also be paired with casual or gourmet dishes and provide an alternative to wine.
- Mocktails: Don’t forget non-alcoholic options for people who prefer not to drink. Inventive mocktails with fresh ingredients, like a virgin pina colada or a cucumber mint cooler can go down as a special treat as they are both refreshing and enjoyable.
- Champagne: Champagne or sparkling wine is a given with any celebration. It’s perfect for toasting at the beginning of the meal or with dessert. Consider serving it in elegant flutes to elevate the ambiance.
- Whiskey and Bourbon: For those people who appreciate fine spirits, offer a selection of whiskey and bourbon. These can be sipped neat or used to create classic cocktails like an Old Fashioned or Manhattan.
- Gin and Tonic: A gin and tonic is a refreshing option for a pre-dinner aperitif. Garnish it with slices of citrus or herbs for a sophisticated touch.
- Sangria: Sangria is a fun and flavorful option too, especially for summer dinner parties. Red or white wine mixed with fruit and a touch of brandy or liqueur can definitely be a crowd-pleaser.
- Coffee and after dinner drinks: After the main meal, you could offer a coffee or espresso, then followed by an after dinner drink. These could include brandy, port, amaretto, or grappa, providing the perfect way to finish off the evening.
- Mineral Water: It’s a good idea to have mineral water on-hand to provide some non-alcoholic and non-caffeinated options.
When selecting drinks for your dinner party, consider the preferences and dietary restrictions of your guests. Offering a well-rounded selection, including alcoholic and non-alcoholic options, allows everyone to enjoy the evening. Pairing the right drinks with your menu enhances the dining experience, creating a memorable and enjoyable event for all your guests. Ultimately, the key to a successful dinner party is balance and variety, ensuring there’s something for everyone to sip and savor.